If I get lice do I have to cut my dreadlocks?
While having dreads doesn't make you more prone to getting bugs in your hair, getting bugs does present more of a problem when you do have dreads. Most people assume that they have to shave their dreads off, which in my opinion is a fate worse than... well...a whole helluvalot!
Soak your dreads in rubbing alcohol and tie a large plastic bag over your dreads, any bag will do as long as it keeps the fumes on your head. Let your dreads soak for 30 minutes. After they soak rinse your dreads really really well. Repeat all this again in 3 days and you shouldn't see any more buggies.
by Joshua D. Freedman
(I received this email not to long ago I'll paste it just like he sent it)
Hi, Hate to bother you, but I had Cow Lice once... (lovely, I know) and this worked INSTANTLY.
- 1. Get big bucket
- 2. Fill with vinegar
- 3. Dump in bottle of Cayenne pepper.
- 4. Dunk your head in the bucket but MAKE SURE you don't get any on your FACE OR EYES. Get it on the back and everything.
- 5. Put a towel on your head and leave everything in for several hours. It does not hurt but is a little stinky; perhaps wait outside.
- 6. Wash out. It will kill EVERYTHING.
P.S. - Cow Lice are twice the size of regular lice, you get them from sleeping in cow fields. Thank you for a great site: Joshua D. Freedman ----Additional Tips by Dustin---- -Holy (expletive deleted) even if your eyes are closed and that shit touches your eyes it burn like a mother. Pour that from the front with your head tilted back or be upside down. -Do not do it over a sink. You need lots of moving air and you need to be far away from the fumes. My lung burned like a bitch. -Get a towel rap it around your neck. Even with that bag tight it still leaks. -When you take off the bag...look out. Attack of the FUMES.
- 1. Drenched my hair in vinegar, put a shower cap on and left it for 30 minutes then rinsed. Vinegar kills the lice.
- 2. Put shaving cream (Barbosol-the foamy kind) on my head for 30 minutes then rinsed. Shaving Cream kills the eggs.
3. Then I made my own homemade lice killer and preventer:
15 drops Eucalyptus
5 drops marjoram
5 drops rosemary
5 drops lavender
5 drops peppermint
3/4c. pure unscented coconut oil (before melting)
1/4c. dreadhead dread soap
I lathered, left on for 30 minutes, and washed out with more dread soap.